Installation manual Octopus CI S2 Pro
Please read this manual carefully, it will help you to install and set up your Digital Devices product properly.
To download the latest drivers and updated manuals check out our website
www.digitaldevices.de. For further contact details please browse to the end of this manual.
Table of contents
Safety instructions and hazard notices
The product is suited for use in PC-systems only.
Please read the following safety instructions carefully to avoid damage to persons or the product during use. Also obey the instructions in your PC manual.
Please provide the manual to people who carry out an upgrade or upgrade (also in case of resale).
Important safety instructions
- Installation requires knowledge with PC systems and may only be carried out by experienced users and trained staff.
- Never allow children to play with electrical appliances. They can not recognize hazards.
Disconnect your PC from the power supply before doing any work, and then wait a few minutes for all components to cool down before performing any work. There is a risk of electric shock when connecting to the power supply, which can be fatal.
- The power plug must be accessible in order to allow disconnection from the power supply in case of danger.
- Never bridge connections in the system or the power supply fuse, as there is a risk of electric shock.
Hazard information to work on your PC
- Do not plug or unplug any cables when the PC is switched on (not even the antenna cable).
- You should statically discharge prior to any work, for example by touching a grounded object.
- Use only components and cables in perfect original condition. Defective devices and cables must be replaced.
- Use the card only at the intended connections (PCI Express or data port) and do not apply force during installation
- The card / module must not come into contact with moisture or chemical solvents. Cards / modules which come into contact with liquid are to be sorted out.
- On no account use tools (e.g. screwdrivers) to reach hardly accessible places in the PC. Power supplies carry voltage even after being switched off, therefore there is a risk of (lethal) electric shock.
- Small parts such as screws can cause short circuits and should therefore not be located inside the PC.
- Do not use the card / module and PC outdoors. Cables for indoor use must not be used outdoors.In the event of problems, defects or questions, please contact your supplier.
Disclaimer of liability
The following points will result in the loss of liability, guarantee and warranty claims:
- Use of defective or modified parts and cables. Or parts and cables which have come in contact with liquids
- Failure to comply to safety instructions or installation by non-qualified persons
- Use of non-approved replacement parts
Electromagnetic compatibility and disposal
- The guidelines for electromagnetic compatibility must be adhered to when connecting the TV card / module.
- Electrical components must be disposed properly and do not belong in the household refuse.
The Octopus CI S2 Pro is a dual-tuner UHD / HD TV card, which allows hassle-free TV and radio reception according to latest standards. Thanks to an integrated CI module, it is also geared towards different reception schemes, such as Pay TV.
Designed and produced in Germany in addition to proprietary support by the manufacturer ensure a continual advancement of many software products.
Particular emphasis has been placed on environmentally friendly Green IT with low energy consumption and without environmental hazardous components.
Technical data Octopus CI S2 Pro
- EAN: 4260217680891
- Part No.: 194040
- Dual-Tuner-Basiskarte für DVB-S2 mit integriertem Dual-CI-Modul
- Single card application (standalone)
- No connection for expansion modules, extension via PCI Express possible
- Symbol Rate: 1 MSym to 67,5 MSym DVB-S2
- LNB power:
- L-band: 950 MHz to 2150 MHz
- DVB FEC: (Auto Spectral Detection)
- Modulation: QPSK/8PSK
- Full DiSeqC 2.X support
Unicable for DVB-S (Single Cable Routing)
- Unicable® compliant: SCR / Cenelec EN 50494
- JESS® compliant: Cenelec EN 50607
- On Windows PCs the support is already enabled by the driver; no additional support is required by applications.
- PCI Express (x1-x16)
- L-band input connector (enables power supply to the LNB if required)
- H 107 mm, L 108 mm, D 15 mm
- ≈ 5 W 2*DVB-S2
- 12V only ( 9-17V )
Multi Transponder Decryption
- Up to four decryptions of different channels from different transponders possible (only Windows®)
Tested CA modules
- Mascom Alphacrypt Light + Easy TV
- SMIT Irdeto/Cryptoworks
- SMIT Viaccess with SRG
- Technicrypt CW with ORF
- SCM Cryptoworks
Supported operating systems
- Linux (Kernel 2.6.34 or higher)
- Microsoft Windows® XP(SP3), 7, 8, 8.1, 10; (32/64 Bit)
- Windows® Media Center
- Dual Core Intel® oder AMD® CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- 1x free PCIe port (x1 to x16)
Enviroment and safety
- RoHS compliant
- WEEE compliant
- Manufactured and designed according to European ISO / DIN guidelines and environmental standards.
Scope of supply
- Octopus CI S2 Pro PCI Express card
- Quick Install Guide
- Manual (on CD)
- Driver (on CD)
- DD-TV Software (on CD)
- Slot bracket full-profile
Note: Make sure to follow the safety instructions in this manual and in the user manual of your PC.
- Carry out a backup prior to the installation process.
- Switch off the PC and disconnect the power supply. Now other external cables can be disconnected.
- Put the PC on a stable surface in order to access the backside easily.
- Wait a few minutes until all parts have cooled down before opening your PC and continuing the installation process.
Note: To prevent an electrical short circuit, newly acquired equipment and cards should not be put into operation until they have reached the surrounding temperature.
- Attach the slot bracket to the card or module if necessary and use the screws provided with the product.
Note: Depending on the measurements the card comes with two slot brackets (Full Profile and Low Profile). Slot brackets in various designs are available separately.
Installing the card
Note: Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) can damage internal components of the PC. Hence, you should discharge before working on the system, for example by touching a grounded object.
- Open the housing as described in the operating instructions of your PC.
- Locate a suitable PCIe slot and remove the slot cover.
- Keep the TV card at the slot bracket and plug it vertically into a free PCI Express slot (x1-x16) until the TV card is locked into place firmly. Be careful not to damage any surrounding components.
- Tighten the screws of the slot bracket until the card is fastened.
- (Optional, when using a Cine-S2): Connect the power connector to your power supply if your LNB requires that (> 5 watts of power consumption). LNBs with a power consumption of up to 20 Watts can be utilized.
- Close the housing
- Reconnect any disconnected cables
- Connect the antenna cable to an antenna input port of your TV card or to your tuner module
- Finally, connect the power cord to the PC and turn it on.
Connection diagram Octopus CI S2 Pro
- Single cable routing according to EN50494 or EN 50607 allows supplying several TV receivers with only one cable. Depending on the technology used, up to 8 tuners can be supplied with a single cable. Prerequisite is a Unicable® LNB, a Unicable® Stacker or a Unicable® multiswitch.
- The two connectors of the card are to be concentrated into a single cable via a splitter.
- The splitter must be Unicable® compliant and ensure DC pass-through for all connections.
- Unicable® frequencies and channels are being allocated via the DD Control Center.
Insert CA module
Insert the SmartCard of your PayTV provider into the CA module (CAM) and then slide the CAM into a free CI slot of the CI. The pressure is slightly increased shortly before the stop when the CAM is plugged in correctly. After the position is reached, the CAM can be pushed for approximately another 5mm into the CI.
CA modules can also be plugged in or unplugged during operation. Detection is done automatically without the need of restarting the PC.
Up to two CA-modules can be used.
Driver installation on Windows PCs
- Start your web browser and go to www.digital-devices.com.
- Now click on "Downloads" and download the appropriate driver for your individual operating system.
Drivers are available for the following versions of Windows:
- Microsoft Windows® XP (SP3), 7, 8, 8.1, 10, in 32 and 64 bits
- Windows Media Center is fully supported.
Caution: When installing new drivers or programs, existing data can be overwritten or changed.
Hence, you should create a backup copy of your hard drive before proceeding with the installation.
Compensation claims for loss of data and resulting damages are excluded.
Note: For Windows® XP, please log in with a user account which has been granted administrator rights.
- Start the setup program by (double) clicking the downloaded file: "DigitalDevices DVB Driver X.msi".
- Now please follow the instructions on the screen.
Note: If you select an installation directory other than the suggested installation directory, the DD Control Center for managing the cards and modules can only be accessed from the installation directory and not from the control panel.
- After completing the installation, restart the computer.
Note: The message "The driver to be installed has not passed the test..." is no indication for a malfunctioning driver, but rather for a missing Microsoft signature.
The error message can be ignored, thus clicking the "Next" button.
After successful driver installation, three new entries are displayed in the Windows device manager (In case of additional modules installed more entries may appear).
The following image is an example of Windows® 10.
Driver installation on Linux
Current drivers are available here: https://github.com/DigitalDevices/dddvb/releases
In the following it is assumed Ubuntu/Debian, OpenSUSE, and Fedora Linux are being utilized. Other distributions may work in a similar way.
Installation of the components
sudo apt-get install mercurial build-essential libproc-processtable-perl linux-headers-$(uname -r)
sudo zypper install -t pattern devel-basis
sudo zypper install mercurial perl-Proc-ProcessTable kernel-devel kernel-source
sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"
sudo yum install mercurial perl-Proc-ProcessTable kernel-devel kernel-headers
Operation (execution in a console / terminal)
Download and unzip the current dddvb drivers
sudo wget https://github.com/DigitalDevices/dddvb/archive/0.9.36.tar.gz
sudo tar -xf 0.9.36.tar.gz
sudo make install
Specify the sequence for loading the modules
sudo mkdir -p /etc/depmod.d
echo 'search extra updates built-in' | sudo tee /etc/depmod.d/extra.conf
Announce the new modules and their dependencies to the system
sudo depmod -a
When using a Max S8, create the ddbridge.conf file
echo 'options ddbridge fmode=x' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ddbridge.conf
(Substitute X with mode of operation / fmode)
Note: If I2C timeouts occur, please disable MSI for ddbridge: echo 'options ddbridge fmode=x msi=0' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ddbridge.conf
sudo modprobe ddbridge
Operating modes for the Max S8:
Fmode=0 4-tuner mode(Internal multiswitch deactivated)
fmode=1 Quad-LNB / normal outputs of the multiswitch
Fmode=2 Quattro-LNB / cascade outputs of the multiswitch
fmode=3 Unicable or JESS LNB / Unicable-exit of the multiswitches
Settings in the Linux driver
Set the following ddbridge parameters for fmode:
- fmode = 0
- fmode = 1
- fmode = 2
- fmode = 3
Demod 0 & 4 at input 1
Demod 1 & 5 at input 2, etc.
The input for each frontend can be changed using: ioct DTV_INPUT All cables are connected via a Quad LNB
All cables are connected via a quattro LNB or multiswitch cascade output: Input 1=VL, 2=HL, 3=VH, 4=HH
All demods are connected to Input 1 and send JESS or SCR (Single Cable Routing) commands from the application
Digital Devices Control Center
Version 3 (15.09.2018)
The Digital Devices Control Center is included in driver version 188.8.131.52 or higher and is used to manage Digital Devices DVB-products on Windows systems. Network tuner configurations can be set via WebInterface or Octopus Cast Tool.
The following settings and functions can be adjusted in the DD Control Center:
- Setting operating mode (Unicable® system)
- Assigning reception mode (DVB-S/S2 as well as T/T2 and C/C2)
- Hardware information and diagnostic capabilities (Tunerlog, signal strength, temperature)
- Firmware updates
- Assign tuner to CI (if available)
- Access to CAM menus (if available)
Accessing the DD Control Center
Since driver version 3 the DD Control Center is integrated into the Windows Start menu and can be accessed there (up to version 2 it was accessed via the control panel).
For certain functions (adjusting driver settings) it may be necessary to run the application as an administrator.
Connected hardware is displayed under Devices. For each standard card, a menu item is created for selection.
If the card is equipped with expansion ports, those are displayed in the main screen, as well as the DuoFlex modules connected to them.
For diagnostic purposes, hardware data is available, which is presented in greater detail within the Diagnostics + maintenance section.
If installed cards or modules are not displayed properly, it must be checked whether they are connected correctly or not.
Signal setup DVB-S
Setting up Unicable® reception (DVB-S/S2)
Digital Devices cards and modules can be configured for Unicable® reception according to EN50494 and EN50607. The device is set up in the Tasks menu under Unicable® reception (DVB-S/S2)
(Exception: Cards from the Max series, for which this option is located in the menu Devices)
Note: Different names for Unicable® and Unicable II® may include: Jess® Single Cable Routing (SCR) or single cable solution.
- Option normal operating state when using a standard SAT system / cabling. There are no other options available.
- Option Unicable® system according to DIN 50494/50607 when using a Unicable® receiving instalation.
The corresponding manufacturer of the LNB or multiswitch can be selected in the upper drop-down box. Then the model can be selected in the lower drop-down box.
If the existing model is not listed, alternatively another can be selected if it uses identical frequencies and is not PIN-protected.
When the selection is done, all tuners that can be configured for Unicable® reception are displayed under Tuner. Slot assigns frequencies to individual tuners.
Edit SCF Devices offers the possibility to create a specific entry, which is then destined for manufacturer and model selection.
If the Unicable® multiswitch / LNB features a Pin Protected function, the option is displayed in the Digital Devices Control Center.
These PINs must be entered at the corresponding ports in the Control Center.
Usually the PIN specifications are defined by the LNB or multi-switch and can be found in the operations manual.
Note: If the function is activated, the devices exchange a PIN with each other so that no frequencies are used that are not intended for the respective receiver.
Tuner type / operating mode
Some programs (such as Windows® Media Center) do not automatically detect if the accessed transponder is a DVB-S or DVB-S2 type. In that instance, the operating mode can be manually specified in the Tuner menu.
CI setup, assigning a CI and tuner
In order for a CI or CAM to decrypt received TV signals, it must be assigned to one or more tuners.
In the Tasks-Common Interface Assignment menu, the built-in tuners and CI modules are displayed as a matrix in which the assignment can be determined by activating the checkbox(s).
- If the CAM supports Multi-Transponder Decryption (MTD) technology, it can be assigned to up to four tuners, and the CAM will automatically run in MTD mode. If only one tuner is assigned, the CAM will run in STD mode (Single Transponder Decryption).
- Multiple CIs can be assigned to a single tuner, allowing to use different pay-TV providers with the same tuner (CI cascading)
Assignments after hardware configuration change
If CI modules are removed or added, the assignment process must be repeated and is maybe even necessary after driver updates.
The Delete all button will reset all CI settings.
The CI assignment can be viewed in the Devices menu for cards and modules.
Adjust CAM settings
In the CAM menu, the menus of installed CAM modules can be accessed and individual settings can be made. The selection of CAMs is carried out in the menu.
The main window shows all menu items of the CAM after a short time.
Note: This is the CAM menu provided by the manufacturer, the Digital Devices Control Center is just the display medium
If your TV software does not provide access to the CAM menu, you can leave it open in the background and then use the DD Control Center.
This allows, for example, to view current status messages or accessing debugging information (function depends on deployed CAM).
Adjusting CI bitrate (Octopus CI S2 Pro and Octopus Duo CI)
For integrated CIs of Octopus CI S2 Pro and Octopus Duo CI, the bitrate can be adjusted in the devices menu in case decryption errors occur.
Differences between Multi Transponder Decryption (MTD) and Single Transponder Decryption (STD)
Diagnostics and maintenance
Show driver version (Homescreen)
The installed driver version is displayed in the homescreen.
To check if a newer version is available, please visit our download page driver-download.
Create tunerlog (Homescreen)
Creates a detailed event list of the last seven days about the installed cards and modules. The report shows the signal values and in case of problems facilitates assistance regarding the analysis.
Firmware download (Homescreen)
Redirect to the download page for firmware updates
Firmware updates can be downloaded here and then installed by using the provided routine.
Now select Devices in order to start the update procedure for the card or module. After installing all desired updates, the PC must be shut down. After the next start, the update is completed.
Detailed information about standard cards and extension modulesv(Devices menu)
In the menu Devices a menu entry is displayed for each standard card.
If a selection is made in the menu, the main screen displays detailed information for the selected card and connected extensions:
- Serial number
- Firmware updates (if available)
Note: For the Octopus CI S2 (Pro and Advanced) and Octopus Duo CI, the bit rate of the CI can be adjusted here if decryption errors occur. See CI bit rate settings (Octopus CI S2 Pro and Octopus Duo CI) in chapter CI setup
Display signal values (Tuner menu)
In Tuner menu, a menu entry is displayed for each standard card and for each extension module.
If a selection is made in the menu, reception values (including signal quality) for the card or module are displayed.
Note: The signal values are only displayed during operation, so a TV application with a selected transmitter should be opened simultaneously.
If a CI is assigned to the selected card or extension module, this assignment will be displayed here.
Software and applications
The Digital Devices TV software is included in your TV card package and is compatible with various applications.
Digital Devices TV
The digital devices TV software is included in your TV card.
In addition to the internal DVB-S, DVB-C and DVB-C cards you can also integrate networks such as the Octopus NET.
The latest version can be downloaded from: Digital Devices ? DD-TV Download
The application manual is available from: DDTV-Handbuch
Third party TV software providers:
The TV card supports many TV applications like Microsoft Windows® MediaCenter 7/8, DVBViewer, Media Portal, Gen2VDR, MythTV
Instructions for various applications are available on our website www.digital-devices.de.
DVB-S and DVB-S2 utilization with Windows® Media Center
In case you want to use the Max S8 card with Windows® Media Center, you have to apply the following workaround for both receiver routes:
- Select the operating mode "DVB-S" for all tuners of the Max S8.
- In DD Control Center 's home screen the setting "Ignore NIT (Windows® Media Center)" needs to be enabled.
- As usual, load the transponder list into the Windows® Media Center, using the DD Control Center or the DD channel sorter for Windows® MediaCenter.
- Save the settings and close the DD Control Center (restart may be required)
- If you have loaded a transponder list using the DD Control Center or the DD channel sorter for Windows® MediaCenter, deactivate the first checkbox in Windows® MediaCenter in Tasks -> Functions / Settings -> General -> Automatic Download Options -> first checkbox (Retrieve CD album art, media information for DVDs and movies, and Internet Services from the Internet)
- In order to set up the TV signal properly please use the TV signal assistant of WMC. In case you activated a transponder list using the DD Control Center or the DD channel sorter for Windows® MediaCenter, choose "No" if asked whether TV setup data shall be updated. If "Yes" is selected instead, current data will be overwritten.
- Carry out a complete satellite search in * Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> TV Signal -> Satellite Transponder Scan - * after setup.
- Now start the DD Control Center
- Select "DVB-S2" operating mode for all tuners again.
- Save the settings and close the DD Control Center (restart may be required)
The setup for the Windows® Media Center is now complete. If problems occur, select "DVB-S2" operating mode for all tuners and redo a full transponder scan with Windows® Media Center.
Technichal drawing Octopus CI S2 Pro
<img src="https://pictures.digitaldevices.de/repository/produkte/194040/DD_Octopus_CI_S2_Pro_gen_Technical_Drawing.png" alt="Abb.:Technische Zeichnung Octopus CI S2 Pro"
Please consider the following advice, once a problem regarding your card occurs. Please access our knowledge base for more information and assistance at: http://support.digital-devices.de/
Basic prerequisites / testing for errors
Turn off the PC and disconnect the power cord before carrying out any checks.
Now perform the following checks:
- Are all cables and connectors properly connected?
- Is the card firmly plugged into the PCIe slot?
If the card is not recognized by the system, please try another PCI Express slot. Since some motherboards don't recognize cards plugged into a PCIe X16 slot properly. Utilizing the X4 or X1 slot should be considered.
- Make sure using original equipment only. Do not interchange cables from different devices, even though they appear identical. They may differ in pin configuration.
- Does the antenna provide adequate antenna power?
- Make sure to implement a minimum distance of one meter to high-frequency and magnetic interference sources (TV set, mobile phone, speaker boxes, etc.).
Turn the PC back on and carry out the following checks:
- Does the card show up in the device manager or in case of a Windows PC in the Digital Devices control Center?
- Inside BIOS, "PCI Express overclocking" should be set to 100 and not into "auto" mode.
- Does the DD Control Center or your application display a signal?
- Does the problem occur in one application only? Try it out in Digital Devices TV as well.
- Is the installed driver up-to-date? Does the problem still occur when a different one is used?
- Did you install the required codecs for playback on your system? Disable DXVA if block graphics occur with HD stations.
- Does your LNB need to be powered?
Note: No additional power supply is required if the connected LNB is powered by a multiswitch or if the LNB does not consume more than 5 watts (see manual of the LNB). In case of the Cine S2, an additional power supply via Sherlock connector is possible to supply LNBs with up to 20 watts
- Are the DiSEqC settings correctly configured for the specific card?
- Is either a digital or a universal-LNB / LNC present?
- If Unicable is used, check the frequency allocation within DD Control Center
Prüfungen und Hinweise zur Fehlerbehebung bei Verwendung eines CI-Moduls
- Sind nur verschlüsselte Sender gestört oder auch unverschlüsselte?
- Steckt das CAM richtig im CI und ist dieses korrekt angeschlossen?
- Besteht das Problem auch, wenn Sie die CI-Zuweisung im DD Control Center entfernen und das CAM herausziehen?
- Wird mit zugewiesenem CI kein Signal mehr angezeigt, ohne aber problemlos, könnte Ihr CAM defekt sein. Testen Sie es in einem anderen Gerät.*
- Ist Ihre Smartcard freigeschaltet? Können die verschlüsselten Sender mit einem anderen Gerät/CAM entschlüsselt werden, z.B. einem Receiver?
- Wenn das CAM in einem anderen Gerät einwandfrei funktioniert, stellen Sie bitte im BIOS/UEFI die PCIe-Busfrequenz auf 100 ein (Häufige Bezeichnungen sind ?PCIe Frequency" "PCIe Overclocking" "BCLK/PEG Frequency?).
Hintergrund: Das CI hat eine bestimmte Taktung. Hat PCIe Bus höhere, kommen die Daten zu schnell beim CI an und es wird kein Sender angezeigt.
EN 55032 B - 30 MHz - 1 GHz
EN 55032 B - 1 GHz - 6 GHz
Imprint & contact
Inquiries from OEM and industrial customers
Digital Devices GmbH
12529 Berlin Schönefeld
Company registration number: HRB 14007 CB in Cottbus
VAT Id No.: DE 266 587 135
Management +49 (0) 89-43759192
Customer Hotline +49 (0) 2065-6989930
Inquiries from distributors, retailers and end users
Digital Devices Distribution GmbH
An der Geis 67
Company registration number: HRB 21725 in Duisburg
VAT Id No.: DE 269 963 931
Head office +49 (0) 2065-6989930
Fax +49 (0) 2065-6989999
Product support and advice
Support form: Produktsupport Digital Devices
Phone: +49 (0)2065 - 6989930 (Mon-Fri 09:00 - 18:00 Uhr)
Digital Devices product portfolio
The Cine series TV cards are the basic products for various Digital Devices solutions. Our Dual Tuners can easily be enhanced with different tuner- and CI-modules to accommodate multiple variations.
Whereas the Octopus series is aimed at the characteristic demands of specific TV tuner environments.
Combinations with CI expansions as well as external solutions are an example of our flexible modular design within the DVB product range.
The DuoFlex series complements the Cine series by incorporating various expansion modules (Tuner, CI) via ribbon cable (No additional PCIe slot required).
Explore the world of Digital Devices at www.digitaldevices.de !