Installation manual DuoFlex CI
To download the latest drivers and updated manuals check out our website
www.digitaldevices.de. For further contact details please browse to the end of this manual.
Table of contentsSafetyInstructions
Product features Initialization Driver installation Digital Devices Control Center
Software and applications Technical illustrations
Imprint & contact
Safety instructions and hazard notices
Please read the following safety instructions carefully to avoid damage to persons or the product during use. Also obey the instructions in your PC manual.
Please provide the manual to people who carry out an upgrade or upgrade (also in case of resale).
Important safety instructions
- Installation requires knowledge with PC systems and may only be carried out by experienced users and trained staff.
- Never allow children to play with electrical appliances. They can not recognize hazards.
- The power plug must be accessible in order to allow disconnection from the power supply in case of danger.
- Never bridge connections in the system or the power supply fuse, as there is a risk of electric shock.
Hazard information to work on your PC
- Do not plug or unplug any cables when the PC is switched on (not even the antenna cable).
- You should statically discharge prior to any work, for example by touching a grounded object.
- Use only components and cables in perfect original condition. Defective devices and cables must be replaced.
- Use the card only at the intended connections (PCI Express or data port) and do not apply force during installation
- The card / module must not come into contact with moisture or chemical solvents. Cards / modules which come into contact with liquid are to be sorted out.
- On no account use tools (e.g. screwdrivers) to reach hardly accessible places in the PC. Power supplies carry voltage even after being switched off, therefore there is a risk of (lethal) electric shock.
- Small parts such as screws can cause short circuits and should therefore not be located inside the PC.
- Do not use the card / module and PC outdoors. Cables for indoor use must not be used outdoors.In the event of problems, defects or questions, please contact your supplier.
Disclaimer of liabilityThe following points will result in the loss of liability, guarantee and warranty claims:
- Use of defective or modified parts and cables. Or parts and cables which have come in contact with liquids
- Failure to comply to safety instructions or installation by non-qualified persons
- Use of non-approved replacement parts
Electromagnetic compatibility and disposal
- The guidelines for electromagnetic compatibility must be adhered to when connecting the TV card / module.
- Electrical components must be disposed properly and do not belong in the household refuse.
Highlights of the DuoFlex-Expansion module
Particular emphasis has been placed on environmentally friendly Green IT with low energy consumption and without environmental hazardous components.
Technical data DuoFlex CI
- EAN: 4260217680914
- Part No.: 092403
- Common interface module for the use with Conditional-Access modules
- An existing card with expansion port is required
- Multi Transponder Decryption, bis zu vier EntschlÃ¼sselungen unterschiedlicher KanÃ¤le von unterschiedlichen Transpondern mÃ¶glich (unter Windows)
Tested CA modules
- Mascom Alphacrypt Light + Easy TV
- SMIT Irdeto/Cryptoworks
- SMIT Viaccess mit SRG
- Technicrypt CW mit ORF
- SCM Cryptoworks
- 2x 20-pin data port for connecting to existing Digital Devices cards (Cine, Octopus Bridges, Octopus CI module) and network tuners (OctopusNet)
- 2x Sherlock connector for power supply. (Power can either be supplied by a mains adapter or by cards with a Sherlock connector, such as Cine S2 v7)
- H 107 mm, L 65 mm, D 15 mm
- 1 watts inc. consumption of CA module
- 12V only ( 9-17V )
Supported operating systems
- Linux (Kernel 2.6.34 or higher)
- Microsoft Windows® XP(SP3), 7, 8, 8.1, 10; (32/64 Bit)
- Windows® Media Center
- Dual Core Intel® oder AMD® CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- a free slot or another eligible mounting space (no PCIe slot required)
- Digital Devices Cine or Octopus series card with connectors for extensions or Digital Devices network tuner (OctopusNet)
Enviroment and safety
- RoHS compliant
- WEEE compliant
- Manufactured and designed according to European ISO / DIN guidelines and environmental standards.
Scope of supply
- DuoFlex CI common-interface expansion module
- Quick Install Guide
- Manual (on CD)
- Driver (on CD)
- DD-TV Software (on CD)
- Slot bracket full-profile
- Low profile slot bracket
- Carry out a backup prior to the installation process.
- Switch off the PC and disconnect the power supply. Now other external cables can be disconnected.
- Put the PC on a stable surface in order to access the backside easily.
- Wait a few minutes until all parts have cooled down before opening your PC and continuing the installation process.
- Attach the slot bracket to the card or module if necessary and use the screws provided with the product.
Installation of the expansion module
- Open the housing as described in the operating instructions of your PC.
- Locate a suitable slot and remove the slot cover.
- Insert the module into the slot vertically and tighten the screws of the slot bracket until it is fastened. Be careful not to damage any surrounding components.
- Connect the expansion module to the expansion connectors of your main card (Cine series or Octopus series) utilizing the supplied ribbon cable TAB sequence ascending.
Note 2: Make sure to connect the cable properly if dealing with an older DuoFlex module. The red wire of the cable must be pin 1 on the module or on the card (red wire at the bottom). For newer types, the connections and cables are protected against polarity reversal.
- Link the power supply of your module with a connector from your power adapter or the connector of your card (if available)
- Close the housing
- Reconnect any disconnected cables
- Connect the antenna cable to an antenna input port of your TV-card or to your tuner module
- Finally, connect the power cord to the PC and turn it on.
Connection diagram DuoFlex CI
Insert CA module
CA modules can also be plugged in or unplugged during operation. Detection is done automatically without the need of restarting the PC.
Up to two CA-modules can be used.
DuoFlex CI wiringThe DuoFlex CI can be used with all Digital Devices cards of the Cine series (V 6.x or higher) or Octopus series.
A connection to a Cine series V5.5 - PCIe Bridge - mini PCIe Bridge is possible, however only the first CI slot can be utilized.
Two free ports on your Octopus or Cine series are required to use both CI slots. Connect the TAB 1 of your DuoFlex CI to the next available TAB on your Cine or Octopus card. TAB 2 on your DuoFlex CI is not functioning independently and therefore always requires the next higher TAB on the same Octopus or Cine card.
There is no need to connect both data cables to a Cine or Octopus series. In case of too few available expansion connections or if both CI slots are not required, one connected data cable is sufficient to operate only one CI slot. You can then connect the TAB1 to any free port on your Cine or Octopus series.
Notes on data connectionIf multiple modules are utilized, connected tuner modules are identified in the system as follows, depending on the TAB used:
- TAB 1 to Octopus series -> Tuner 1 & 2
- TAB 2 to Cine or Octopus series -> Tuner 3 & 4
- TAB 3 to Cine or Octopus series -> Tuner 5 & 6
The DuoFlex CI is equipped with 2 power connectors. Supply one of these two power connectors with a power cable. Depending on the housing or position of the CI, it may be beneficial to install the plug vertically or horizontally.
Both CI slots are always supplied by a single power connector.
Driver installation on Windows PCs
- Start your web browser and go to www.digital-devices.com.
- Now click on "Downloads" and download the appropriate driver for your individual operating system.
- Microsoft WindowsÂ® XP (SP3), 7, 8, 8.1, 10, in 32 and 64 bits
- Windows Media Center is fully supported.
Driver installationCaution: When installing new drivers or programs, existing data can be overwritten or changed.
Hence, you should create a backup copy of your hard drive before proceeding with the installation.
Compensation claims for loss of data and resulting damages are excluded.
Note: For WindowsÂ® XP, please log in with a user account which has been granted administrator rights.
- Start the setup program by (double) clicking the downloaded file: "DigitalDevices DVB Driver X.msi".
- Now please follow the instructions on the screen.
- After completing the installation, restart the computer.
The error message can be ignored, thus clicking the "Next" button.
After successful driver installation, three new entries are displayed in the Windows device manager (In case of additional modules installed more entries may appear).
The following image is an example of WindowsÂ® 10.
Driver installation on LinuxCurrent drivers are available here: https://github.com/DigitalDevices/dddvb/releases
In the following it is assumed Ubuntu/Debian, OpenSUSE, and Fedora Linux are being utilized. Other distributions may work in a similar way.
Installation of the components
sudo apt-get install mercurial build-essential libproc-processtable-perl linux-headers-$(uname -r)
sudo zypper install -t pattern devel-basis
sudo zypper install mercurial perl-Proc-ProcessTable kernel-devel kernel-source
sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"
sudo yum install mercurial perl-Proc-ProcessTable kernel-devel kernel-headers
Operation (execution in a console / terminal)
sudo wget https://github.com/DigitalDevices/dddvb/archive/0.9.28.tar.gz
sudo tar -xf 0.9.28.tar.gz
sudo make install
sudo mkdir -p /etc/depmod.d
echo 'search extra updates built-in' | sudo tee /etc/depmod.d/extra.conf
sudo depmod -a
echo 'options ddbridge fmode=x' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ddbridge.conf
(Substitute X with mode of operation / fmode)
Note: If I2C timeouts occur, please disable MSI for ddbridge: echo 'options ddbridge fmode=x msi=0' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ddbridge.conf
sudo modprobe ddbridge
Operating modes for the Max S8: Fmode=0 4-tuner mode(Internal multiswitch deactivated) fmode=1 Quad-LNB / normal outputs of the multiswitch Fmode=2 Quattro-LNB / cascade outputs of the multiswitch fmode=3 Unicable or JESS LNB / Unicable-exit of the multiswitches
Settings in the Linux driverSet the following ddbridge parameters for fmode:
- fmode = 0
- fmode = 1
- fmode = 2
- fmode = 3
Demod 1 & 5 at input 2, etc.
The input for each frontend can be changed using: ioct DTV_INPUT All cables are connected via a Quad LNB
All cables are connected via a quattro LNB or multiswitch cascade output: Input 1=VL, 2=HL, 3=VH, 4=HH
All demods are connected to Input 1 and send JESS or SCR (Single Cable Routing) commands from the application
Digital Devices Control Center
Network configurations can be set via WebInterface or Octopus CastTool.
Table of contents & Cheat sheet
- Driver Version
- Ignore NIT
- UniCableÂ® system
- Transponder list
- CI assignment
- Hardware info
- CI bitrate
- DVB-C / C2: reception mode specification
- Signal data (level / quality / signal, noise / bit error rate)
- DVB-S / S2 (display tuner)
- DVB-S / S2: Operating mode Max S8
- CAM menu
Notes on the Max S8
Additions regarding the Windows Media Center
Accessing the DD Control Center
Note: The Control Center is linked in the Control Panel and is not displayed in the Start menu. If the standard directory is not used during installation, launching is only possible from the installation folder.
DD Control Center menu configuration
Network tuner configurations can be customized via the Web interface and, if necessary, in the Octopus Cast tool.
DD Control Center Menu items
The homescreen displays basic information and configuration options.
Discloses the version of the installed driver
Ignore NIT in Windows Media Center
(This option is only available on systems with Windows Media Center)
Enable the option to use a DVB-C card or a Max S8 in Windows Â® Media Center
Create a Tunerlog
Creates a detailed event list of the last seven days for the installed cards and modules. A report shows, among other things, the signal values and offers support in case of problems in the analysis.
Provides configuration options for inserted cards and modules (non-relevant options are hidden).
UniCableÂ® reception - (For DVB-S / S2 reception only)
Settings for cable receiver systems according to EN50494 and EN50607 for DVB-S cards and modules (except Max S8) can be configured here.
- Select normal mode when using a standard SAT system/wiring.
- Select the option UniCableÂ® system according to DIN 50494/50607 when using an appropriate UniCableÂ® receiver.
Select manufacturer selection for selecting the manufacturer of your LNBs or multiswitch and choose your specific model in the LNB / multiswitch selection. If it is not in the list, select a model that uses the same frequencies and is not pin-protected. You could select other manufacturers from the selection box as well.
Tuner displays all tuner configurable for UniCableÂ® reception. You can use Slot to assign the frequencies to individual tuners. Note: Common names for UniCableÂ® receivers are: UniCable Â®-UniCable II Â® Jess Â®-SCR (single cable routing) single cable solution.
If your UniCableÂ® multiswitch / LNB is equipped with the Pin Protected feature, devices exchange a PIN with each other so that no other frequencies are used which are not intended for the respective receiver. PINs must be registered in the Control Center for the corresponding ports. This option is only available if your multiswitch or LNB is specifically designed for that purpose. Usually the PIN specifications are defined by the LNB or multiswitch and can be found in the respective operating instructions.
Transponder list WindowsÂ® Media Center
Only available on systems with Windows Â® Media Center and DVB-S/S2 as well as DVB-C/C2 hardware in order to enable individual configurations of channel lists.
Common Interface mapping (If CI interface is present)
Assign your Digital Devices CI modules to one or more tuners by activating the checkboxes. If your CAM supports MTD technology, you can assign several tuners (up to four).
Detected Digital Devices cards and modules are displayed as menu items. Detail information is presented upon selecting.
The bit rate for the Octopus CI S2 Pro and Octopus CI can be adjusted.
Detected tuners are displayed as menu items with the option to adjust settings.
If the tuner has been assigned to a specific CI, the CI assignment is displayed.
During operation, reception data for the tuner is displayed (level / quality / signal, noise)
Tuner type DVB-C/C2, definition of the reception mode(s)
By selecting the checkbox you can specify which reception type is used and displayed.
- DVB-C/C2 WMC: (Identifies the tuner as DVB-S/S2 for use in WindowsÂ® Media Center)
For alternating utilization of different programs and reception modes several options are at your disposal. Each assigned type of reception is shown as a separate tuner; hence the number of tuners in the TV applications depends on the number of assignments to the respective operating mode.
Example: Alternating tuner utilization in DVBViewerÂ® and WindowsÂ® MediaCenter (options "DVB-C/C2" and "DVB-C/C2 WMC) Access to a tuner that is already in use by another program is not possible.
Tuner type DVB-S/S2
No options are available for this tuner type (except for Max S8). In case CI assignments were carried out previously they are displayed here. The operating mode (DVB-S or DVB-S2) can be selected specifically for the Max S8 if the program does not recognize the transponder type automatically.
Menu *CAM*Shows the CA modules (CAM) present in the system and provides access to the respective CAM menu.
Select the CAM module whose menu you want to get displayed. If your TV software does not allow access to the CAM menu, you can let it run in the background and then use the DD Control Center. This allows, for example, to view current status reports or debug information (function depending on the CA module utilized).
Multi Transponder Decryption (MTD)Digital Devices MTD stands for Multi Transponder Decryption. If multiple tuners are assigned to a CI slot, the CI will automatically run in MTD mode. If only one tuner is assigned to a CI, the CI is automatically operating in STD mode Single Transponder Decryption. Overview of the differences:
CI CascadingThe assignments for the CIs are made and displayed in the Tasks menu.
You can assign multiple CIs to a tuner, for example to use a tuner for two different Pay-TV providers.
Accessing the CAM menuThe CAM menu can be accessed from the Menu CAM.
Bitrate (Octopus CI S2 Pro and Octopus Duo CI)For integrated CIs like Octopus CI S2 Pro and Octopus Duo CI, the bitrate can be configurated in the Devices menu.
Select the CAM module whose menu you want to get displayed.
If your TV software does not allow access to the CAM menu, you can let it run in the background and then use the DD Control Center. This allows, for example, to view current status reports or debug information (function depending on the CA module utilized).
How to set the Max S8
Operating mode configuration
Select the menu entry on the left side of the window:
Operating mode configuration
Set the operating mode and the settings for unicable systems according to EN50494 and EN50607. (Note: In the case of cards other than the Max S8, the UniCableÂ® configuration is located under the "Tasks" menu item.) Select your Max S8 from the menu - you can now set the operating mode in the right-hand part of the window.
Unicable System according to DIN50494/50607
Select this option if you want to use a Max S8 to receive on a unicable system. The settings for unicable receivers according to EN50494 and EN50607 are configured for the Max S8 exclusively in this menu. (The menu item "Tasks - > unicable reception can't be used for the Max S8.)
Choose the manufacturer of your LNB or multiswitch from the listÂ„. Then select your model under Â“LNB / multiswitchÂ“. If your manufacturer or model is not listed, you can also choose a different model, if it uses the same frequencies and is not Â“ Pin Protected Â“ or select the option Â“Other manufacturersÂ“ from the selection field.
All 8 tuners are listed under TunerÂ“. Via Â“ Slot Â“ you can assign the corresponding frequencies to the individual tuners.
Â»Note: Unicable reception systems are known under names such as: UniCableÂ® - UniCable IIÂ® JessÂ® - SCR (Single Cable Routing) Unicable solution. If your unicable Â“ Multiswitch/LNB has the option Pin Protected, the devices exchange a PIN for each other so that no other frequencies are used which are not intended for the respective receiver. These PINs must be entered in the Control Center at the corresponding ports. This option is available only if your multicast or LNB has the option Â“Pin Protected Â“. Usually the PIN specifications of the LNB or multi-switch are permanently defined and can be found in the respective operating instructions.
Tuner Type DVB-S / S2 (Max S8 Series)
Some programs (e.g., WindowsÂ® Media Center) do not recognize the transponder type automatically (DVB-S / DVB-S2). In this rare case, the tuners can be selectively switched to the required operating mode.
Additions for the Windows Media Center
The DD Control Center provides several options for operating the WindowsÂ® Media Center.
Ignore NIT in Windows Media Center
Enable this option to use a DVB-C card or a Max S8 in WindowsÂ® Media Center.
DVB-C in Windows Media Center
Select the DVB-C/C2 WMC option in the Tuner menu in order to make it visible in the Windows Media Center. (It's a DVB-C feature)
Transponder list WindowsÂ® Media Center (DVB-S/S2 and DVB-C/C2 only)
This menu item is available on systems running WindowsÂ® Windows Media Center.
Transponder lists for DVB-S/S2 and DVB-C/C2 reception paths can be loaded into the WindowsÂ® Media Center. Select the desired lists under the Files tab by activating the appropriate checkboxes and load them into the Media Center with creat. You can then select and load one or more predefined station assignments in the "Preset" tab.
Note: You can customize the lists to your own requirements and download updates from our support area. For easy creation and editing of transponder lists, the DD Channel Sorter is available on our website.
Note: For DVB-C/C2 cards, do not use the WindowsÂ® MediaCenter internal lists. DVB-S/S2 cards are used to set up like DVB-C/C2 cards, however in the Tuner menu, the DVB-C WMC mode must be adjusted for the tuners.
Software and applications
The Digital Devices TV software is included in your TV card package and is compatible with various applications.
Digital Devices TV
The digital devices TV software is included in your TV card.
In addition to the internal DVB-S, DVB-C and DVB-C cards you can also integrate networks such as the Octopus NET.
The latest version can be downloaded from: Digital Devices Â– DD-TV Download
The application manual is available from: DDTV-Handbuch
Third party TV software providers:
The TV card supports many TV applications like Microsoft WindowsÂ® MediaCenter 7/8, DVBViewer, Media Portal, Gen2VDR, MythTV
Instructions for various applications are available on our website www.digital-devices.de.
DVB-S and DVB-S2 utilization with WindowsÂ® Media CenterIn case you want to use the Max S8 card with WindowsÂ® Media Center, you have to apply the following workaround for both receiver routes:
- Select the operating mode "DVB-S" for all tuners of the Max S8.
- In DD Control Center 's home screen the setting "Ignore NIT (WindowsÂ® Media Center)" needs to be enabled.
- As usual, load the transponder list into the WindowsÂ® Media Center, using the DD Control Center or the DD channel sorter for WindowsÂ® MediaCenter.
- Save the settings and close the DD Control Center (restart may be required)
- If you have loaded a transponder list using the DD Control Center or the DD channel sorter for WindowsÂ® MediaCenter, deactivate the first checkbox in WindowsÂ® MediaCenter in Tasks -> Functions / Settings -> General -> Automatic Download Options -> first checkbox (Retrieve CD album art, media information for DVDs and movies, and Internet Services from the Internet)
- In order to set up the TV signal properly please use the TV signal assistant of WMC. In case you activated a transponder list using the DD Control Center or the DD channel sorter for WindowsÂ® MediaCenter, choose "No" if asked whether TV setup data shall be updated. If "Yes" is selected instead, current data will be overwritten.
- Carry out a complete satellite search in * Tasks -> Settings -> TV -> TV Signal -> Satellite Transponder Scan - * after setup.
- Now start the DD Control Center
- Select "DVB-S2" operating mode for all tuners again.
- Save the settings and close the DD Control Center (restart may be required)
Technichal drawing DuoFlex CI
Digital Devices TV cards and modules can be expanded and combined easily thanks to the modular design of Digital Devices solutions.
Each DuoFlex module can be connected to any TV card or bridge via an expansion connector. Even cards without expansion connectors can be integrated since the PCIe system bus is able to establish a connection. In either case additional modules are seamlessly integrated into the Digital Devices Control Center.
Expansion options Cine S2
Various combinations of Digital Devices DVB components with a Cine TV card are possible. (A maximum of 3 can be connected in version 7).
Slot brackets, assembly
Accessories for various combinations are available and can be obtained from Digital Devices.
The following figure illustrates examples of slot brackets and power connections.
Sample configuration shown: Digital Devices Cine S2 v7 with a DuoFlex S2 v4 expansion module on a combined slot bracket K (available as accessory)
Basic prerequisites / testing for errors
Turn off the PC and disconnect the power cord before carrying out any checks.
Now perform the following checks:
- Are all cables and connectors properly connected?
- Is the card firmly plugged into the PCIe slot?
If the card is not recognized by the system, please try another PCI Express slot. Since some motherboards don't recognize cards plugged into a PCIe X16 slot properly. Utilizing the X4 or X1 slot should be considered.
- Make sure using original equipment only. Do not interchange cables from different devices, even though they appear identical. They may differ in pin configuration.
- Does the antenna provide adequate antenna power?
- Make sure to implement a minimum distance of one meter to high-frequency and magnetic interference sources (TV set, mobile phone, speaker boxes, etc.).
Turn the PC back on and carry out the following checks:
- Does the card show up in the device manager or in case of a Windows PC in the Digital Devices control Center?
- Inside BIOS, "PCI Express overclocking" should be set to 100 and not into "auto" mode.
- Does the DD Control Center or your application display a signal?
- Does the problem occur in one application only? Try it out in Digital Devices TV as well.
- Is the installed driver up-to-date? Does the problem still occur when a different one is used?
- Did you install the required codecs for playback on your system? Disable DXVA if block graphics occur with HD stations.
Testing and troubleshooting for using expansion modules (Tuner, CI)
- Is your expansion module powered (connected to power supply or to the card)?
- Is the data cable between the base card and the expansion module properly connected?
- Is the module displayed in the DD Control Center?
- Is the signal input of your module connected correctly (does not apply to CI modules)?
Imprint & contact
Inquiries from OEM and industrial customers
Digital Devices GmbHEckhard Stock
Company registration number: HRB 180815 in Munich
VAT Id No.: DE 266 587 135
Management +49 (0) 89-43759192
Customer Hotline +49 (0) 2065-6989930
Inquiries from distributors, retailers and end users
Digital Devices Distribution GmbHNorbert Auge
An der Geis 67
Company registration number: HRB 21725 in Duisburg
VAT Id No.: DE 269 963 931
Head office +49 (0) 2065-6989930
Fax +49 (0) 2065-6989999
Product support and adviceSupport form: Produktsupport Digital Devices
Phone: +49 (0)2065 - 6989930 (Mon-Fri 09:00 - 18:00 Uhr)
Digital Devices product portfolioThe Cine series TV cards are the basic products for various Digital Devices solutions. Our Dual Tuners can easily be enhanced with different tuner- and CI-modules to accommodate multiple variations.
Whereas the Octopus series is aimed at the characteristic demands of specific TV tuner environments.
Combinations with CI expansions as well as external solutions are an example of our flexible modular design within the DVB product range.
The DuoFlex series complements the Cine series by incorporating various expansion modules (Tuner, CI) via ribbon cable (No additional PCIe slot required).
Explore the world of Digital Devices at www.digitaldevices.de !